A church full of charm!
The Church of St Andrew of Biguglia dates back to the XVI century. The old exposed stones give this church a very particular character and a certain charm. The baptismal font, with its three compartments, seems to correspond to the prescriptions of the Council of Trent. This church also has three altars, the major one dedicated to Sant'Andria, the other two to the Virgin and to San Roccu. This altar, which according to the documents of the time did not yet exist in 1646, seems to date from 1760. At that time, the church was undergoing a lot of work: painting, paving and improvements to the furnishings.
In 1767, Lord Andria Biguglia offered the parish a magnificent painting representing St. Andrew.
In 1785, it was the turn of the frontispiece, on which cracks had appeared, to be renovated.
In 1994, the commune of Biguglia decided to give its church back the splendour it deserves. Restoration work was undertaken, the frescoes were repainted, the furniture, statues and old brotherhood objects were renovated and two new stained glass windows were installed. They now illuminate the nave with an almost magical luminosity. Two stained glass windows represent Saint Francis of Assisi, in memory of the former Franciscan Convent, erected at the beginning of the 13th century and of which only ruins remain today, near the communal cemetery.
In May 2008, the municipality launched restoration work on the facades of St. André Church.
The work consisted in the total rework of the external facades, three sides are left in exposed stone and the main facade is whitewashed on the east side of the building. The roofs were also rebuilt in stone and the openings in blown vere.
GPS: 42.62755, 9.42095